Monday, January 4, 2010

A Tale of Two Receptionists

It's amazing how non-verbal communication can convey a concept so different from words - and turn off customers! Today I stopped in two professional offices. Both were in the same industry, and both were busy. In one, the receptionist greeted me with smile and calmly asked me how she could be of assistance. In the other, the receptionist, who had been in another room, rushed behind her desk, said my companion's name, and barked out "We are SO busy today!" My companion apologized for disturbing her, she merely nodded, and we both felt uncomfortable giving them business!

What was the difference between the two offices? In the first, the receptionist appeared to think of
us and to realize that her job existed because of the customers. In the second, the receptionist seemed to think only of herself and how overwhelmed she was.

What has your worst experience been with receptionists' communication?



No comments: