Friday, April 4, 2014

Do you frequently say the wrong thing?


When I was growing up, there was a politician I knew of who was a master at saying the wrong thing. The newspaper was eager to publish his comments because they generated so much (negative) controversy. Do you know someone like that?
Nobody has perfect speech; we all make mistakes in how we talk and what we say, occasionally. However, if you frequently say the wrong thing, what can you do to reduce this tendency?
Before you say anything, think: "Will this comment I want to say make things better or worse for me and for anyone else?"
If you are about to provide some information about someone else, ask yourself, "Does the person I am talking to need to know this information?"
If you are about to say something negative about someone else,
ask yourself, "How would I feel if that person walked in right now and overheard me?"
If you want to make a suggestion on how to improve something, consider, "Is this really my business to say this? How will this comment make the other person feel?"
Think first, and consider the ramifications of what you want to say!

Business Speech Improvement provides individual and small group coaching in communication strategies for better leadership, as well as accent modification, diction, speech rate reduction and more.



No comments: